Friday, January 24, 2014

This Week in Reading

What I Read:




The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson (Review) - I thoroughly enjoyed this one and was completely surprised by it as well.









Scandalously Yours by Cara Elliott (Review) - Didn't love this one.  Thought it was a bit all over the place and didn't find the main characters very likable or interesting.  I did like how the last half of the book was handled.  I also did like the main character's sister and am looking forward to reading Elliott's next book which is about her.








By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie - This is the second to last of the Tommy and Tuppence books.  I'll review all of them together next week.  This one is okay.  The basic premise is interesting but it's definitely one of her weaker books.








Queen of Hearts: Vol 1 The Crown by Colleen Oakes (Review) - I really enjoyed this prequel to Alice in Wonderland.  It was well written and wonderfully atmospheric.  The main problem right now is I have no idea where this can be purchased.  It's due out on February 14th so I'll be keeping a look out for it. 




What I'm Reading:



When the Rogue Returns by Sabrina Jefferies - I'm almost done with this one and so far am liking it.  Jefferies isn't a new author to me and I've liked her previous works.  This one is a bit different from most historicals I've read in the past and so far it's been done well.  







Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie - The last in the Tommy and Tuppence series and so far my least favorite.










The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson - I keep putting this one off.  So far it's good but not grabbing me.  To be fair I haven't given it much of a chance.  My goal is to buckle down and get this one read this week.





What's Distracting Me:  

Actually, I haven't been too distracted this week.   I've gotten some serious reading done and it's been kind of nice.  My 4 year old has been playing some serious Temple Run lately so I have spent some time playing that as he's starting to get better than me.  Other than that and the occasional TV show I've been doing lots of reading.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that bizarre? I googled Queen of Hearts and the author and just got the Goodreads listing. Even her website only talks about her old books and doesn't look like it has been updated since 2012. I did find it on Netgalley last night, though. It hasn't been archived so fingers crossed they approve me. :) (I searched for it in fantasy and it didn't come up... Guess what they have it under? Women's Fiction. Yep.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so surprised I can't find it on Amazon. I wasn't aware things could still exist if you couldn't buy them there. Women's fiction?? I could see YA or fantasy but I definitely wouldn't categorize this one as Women's fiction. I hope you get it soon! I'd definitely be interested in your take on it.

      Delete
  2. You have been getting some serious reading done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great but since most of it involves too much coffee and not enough sleep so I'm sure it will catch up to me soon!

      Delete