Sunday, September 22, 2013

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery - Review


Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery

Rating:  5 Stars
Description: This book takes place during World War 1 and centers around Anne's youngest daughter, Rilla.  The books sees the 3 Blythe sons and their childhood friends go off to war and deals with the effects of that.  As well are new home place challenges like starting Red Cross Leagues, adopting a war baby and just the endless waiting and agony of having loved ones at the front.

Genre: Children-YA/ Classic

My Impression:  I had a really hard time getting started on this book.  I'd read it before and knew what was going to happen and watching it happen to the children of Rainbow Valley wasn't something I really looked forward too.  To be honest, I cried through most of the book.  Not just teared up but full out cried to the point I have a headache today.  This is by far the darkest book of the series but in many many ways it is the most relevant interesting book.  There is much about life on the homefront for those left behind that you don't really read much about in history.  This is the war history that intrigues me the most and the history that I most identify with and Montgomery does a good job portraying the mix of joy, tedium and anguish.  Anne is for the most part a paper character in the background, even Gilbert is fleshed out a bit more than she is.  That used to be a flaw in my eyes but with after reading it again I'm not sure the book would've been bearable if it had been through Anne's eyes.  Reading her thoughts and feelings as she sends her sons off to war and watches her daughters' worry and anguish over there sweethearts would've been just about unreadable.  In my opinion this is an amazing book and a fairly realistic peak into life of those left behind during a war but do not go into it expecting a light and happy Anne book.  There is some romance but it is very secondary and the male character is in Europe for most of the story.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, of course.  I'm looking forward to reading a lighter happier Montgomery book next.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes definitely though I'm not sure I'll be rereading it anytime soon.

3 comments:

  1. Ok so this one makes me interested! My entire senior thesis paper in college was about life on the homefront in WWII and the women who are left behind. All 34 pages or whatever it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you when I was reading this. All but the first 20 pages or so take place during wartime. I think you could definitely read this without reading the others.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate your mentioning that you had a hard time getting into this one, but then it was very affecting once it grabbed you. I started this on someone's high recommendation and laid it aside because it starts so slowly. Perhaps I will try again! I do like "homefront" novels especially.

    ReplyDelete