Sunday, August 4, 2013

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Review

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Rating: 3 stars

Description:  Jacob's grandfather spent most of Jacob's childhood telling him stories of his magical and sometimes scary childhood and showing him bizarre photographs.  As Jacob gets older he believes less and less of the stories and the bond weakens a bit until something horrible happens.  It then falls to Jacob to untangle all the stories that his grandfather told him and separate the truth from the stories.

Genre:  More of a mystery than anything else but more of a what is going on? than a who?

My Impression:  Fun read but not a showstopper. This book was definitely not what I expected and definitely outside of my usual reading patterns.  Based on the creepy pictures I was expecting a horror/ghost story and got instead a fantasy/adventure story.  I definitely enjoyed it and found Jacob relate-able as a troubled teenager not sure who to trust and what to believe.

Would I read more of this series/author?:  Yes, definitely.  In fact I was thrilled to see that there is a sequel set to be published next year.  There is also another book by the author that is just a collection of old photographs that I'd love to get my hands on.

Would I recommend this book?: If someone was asking if they should read it I would but it's probably not one I would go out of my way to recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment