Friday, July 31, 2026

Friday Fives - Five Quick Reviews for Books I've Read Recently


I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.


1.  Jane's Fame: How Jane Austen Conquered the World by Claire Harman - I picked up the audio version from my library and found it to be an interesting and informative listen.  It's not really a traditional biography of Jane though it does go into what is known about her life.  Instead, it talks of how her fame evolved and spread from the time she was alive and writing until where we are now.  I've enjoyed Austen's works but am by known means a Janeite but I still found this really interesting.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


2.  White Hot by Ilona Andrews - I'm making an effort to keep going with series I started so I was excited to pick up this second book in the Hidden Legacies series.  Just like the first one this one kept me engaged from beginning to end.  It was connected to the first book but didn't rely on those previous events so much that I felt lost getting everything figured out.  I really liked seeing more of Nevada's family as well as seeing more of how she and Rogan work together.  I'm looking forward to reading the next book.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


3.  Murder in Miniature by Katie Tietjen - This is the second book in the Maple Bishop and I really enjoyed this one as well. I really enjoyed the development of the relationship between Maple and the Sheriff.  Maple is also becoming more of a part of the community and her business is getting more attention.  The mystery is really interesting and I loved how her miniature crime scenes were used. As well, I really enjoyed getting a more in-depth look into Maple's backstory.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the two books in this series and am really hoping there will be more.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


4.  The Faraway Inn by Sarah Beth Durst - I have been loving another series by this author so I was super excited about this one.  I was a little hesitant when I saw that it was YA but I decided to go on and give it a chance. I'm so glad I did!  The main character is definitely a teenager both in her thoughts and actions but she's a very likable teenager who works hard and does think about other people.  The magical elements are an absolute delight and I loved all the magical guests (especially Steve).  This was a delightful story that kept me thoroughly entertained.  I'm already looking forward to her next book.  My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)


5.  Everyone On This Train is a Suspect by Benjamin Stevenson - I absolutely loved the first book in this series and was really looking forward to this one.  I really enjoyed it.  There's a big cast of characters and it did take me a minute to figure out who was who.  This may have been easier in the print version.  The story was a good one with some seriously complicated backstories and motives.  I really liked the Ernest's character development.  The ending (especially the second epilogue) was absolute perfection.  This is a fun series with grim subject matters told in a matter-of-fact manner with a dry sense of humor.  I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


No comments:

Post a Comment