Saturday, June 12, 2021

Murder with Mirrors - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Murder with Mirrors by Agatha Christie

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source: Purchased

Description:  A man is shot at in a juvenile reform home – but someone else dies…

Miss Marple senses danger when she visits a friend living in a Victorian mansion which doubles as a rehabilitation centre for delinquents. Her fears are confirmed when a youth fires a revolver at the administrator, Lewis Serrocold. Neither is injured. But a mysterious visitor, Mr Gulbrandsen, is less fortunate – shot dead simultaneously in another part of the building.

Pure coincidence? Miss Marple thinks not, and vows to discover the real reason for Mr Gulbrandsen’s visit.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm rereading all the Miss Marple books this year and this was the next book in line!

My Impression:  This is one of the Miss Marples I don't really remember much about but I think should be on the under appreciated titles list.  Miss Marple is visiting an old friend, Carrie Louise, at her estate which is also a rehabilitation center for juvenile delinquents.  Carrie Louise thinks she is offering an old friend of limited means a bit of a break from financial worries and plenty of relaxing surroundings and good food.  What Carrie Louise doesn't know is that Miss Marple has been sent by another old friend who feels that something is amiss in Carrie Louise's world but doesn't know precisely what.  And obviously, Miss Marple is the one for figuring out just what is going on!

This is an interesting read and clearly a plot that Christie had a bit of fun with.  There's a lot of family tension and more then a few possible suspects as well as more of a few theories as to just what is going on.  This is the kind of situation where Miss Marple really shines.  She's imbedded in the household and all the possible suspects are available for chatting.  It's really quite fun to watch her in action.  When it all comes out I think most readers will be quite surprised at just how it was all managed.   

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I've already got the next one ready to go!

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would!  Miss Marple books can be read in just about any order and since this one takes place away from her home it's especially easy to just jump in here.

4 comments:

  1. "A man is shot at in a juvenile reform home – but someone else dies…" Now that sure caught my attention. And I like that the books can be read in any order. Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quote you wrote and the one Vicki mentiojned is definitely an attention grabber. I am steadily working on catching up with the Vera Stanhope series. News of the World was great, I just finished that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this one sounds totally great and really intriguing. It is so good too when if you are rereading you don't remember it. Fresh joy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have read this one. It does sound good and I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete