Saturday, September 26, 2020

Hodge Podge of Reviews - Cozy Mystery Edition #4


Goodreads:   Chili Cauldron Curse (Kitchen Witch Mystery #.5) by Lynn Cahoon - This is the start of a new series by one of my favorite cozy authors featuring Mia, a kind of practicing witch, and her Gran who is a full on practicing witch.  In this intro Mia is helping her grandmother get a local food pantry off the ground and stumbles on a dead body hiding among the bags of rotting potatoes.  While Cahoon is one of my favorite cozy authors I don't usually love her novellas and unfortunately, this wasn't an exception.  I just didn't connect with Mia or her grandmother or really anyone else in the town.  As well I never felt particularly engaged with the mystery. I do like the concept and I trust Cahoon so I will probably pick up the first full length book in the series but I think I'll skip her novellas from now on.  Rating: Just Okay

Goodreads:  Murder, She Wrote: A Question of Murder by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain - Jessica Fletcher is at it again.  This time she's at a murder weekend that takes place in this amazing sounding old hotel with a ghost story and quite a history.  There are actors, guests, other writers, a blizzard and of course a murder!  Jessica is in fine form doing her usual sleuthing and observing.  Her relationship with official law enforcement was interesting as she didn't want to get involved and the detective very much wanted her help.  Really my main issue was that I had chosen to listen to the audio and it didn't quite work for me.  The narrator did a great job and her accent was very Maine-ish but in my head Jessica Fletcher is and can only be Angela Lansbury!  This is a fun light mystery of the kind I expect from this series.  I'll definitely pick up another book but I'll stick with reading it from now on! Rating: Liked It

Goodreads:  Ghost Ups Her Game (Bailey Ruth #9) by Carolyn G. Hart - This is the latest in a fun series by Carolyn G. Hart.  Bailey Ruth is an emissary from Heaven's Department of Good Intentions and is thrilled to be back in her hometown of Adelaide, Oklahoma but not so happy to be embroiled in a case that seems to be way tougher then all the good intentions can save.  Bailey is a fun character with lots of spunk and a love of a good outfit.  The mystery is interesting.  Just who killed Matt Lambert and how is it possible that it wasn't Iris Gallagher who had motive, opportunity, and was found standing over the body holding the murder weapon?  It's quite a fun ride to get to the answer though there a couple of plot holes along the way.  Hart's writing style is light and fun which makes me forgive the jumps and occasional confusion.  Ann Marie Lee was the narrator and she did a phenomenal job.  Rating: Liked It


5 comments:

  1. Like the mixed bunch. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I tend to like a mix of reviews better than a single review. Probably just me, but it seems much more likely that I'll find a book I'll enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could go for a cauldron full of chili right now! 🍲

    ReplyDelete
  4. See I thought Chili Cauldron Curse was just okay too! Glad it wasn't just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, a dead body among the rotting potatoes. What a visual!!

    ReplyDelete