Saturday, January 25, 2020

Daring to Dream - Contemporary Romance Review

Goodreads:  Daring to Dream (Dream Trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts

Rating: Really Liked It
Source: Library

Description: Margo, Kate and Laura were brought up like sisters amidst the peerless grandeur of Templeton House. But it was Margo whose dreams first took her far away . . .
Margo Sullivan had everything a young woman could ask for. But while growing up along the rocky cliffs of Monterey, she couldn't help but dream of bigger things. The daughter of the Templeton's stern Irish housekeeper, Margo had been treated like a member of the family. Deep down, she knew that money could not buy the thing she craved most -- her mother's acceptance.

Maybe things would be different if she could be sweet like Laura -- or had Kate's shrewd head for business. But all Margo knew how to do was be Margo, and that meant doing things her own way -- no matter what the consequences . . .

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  This is an old favorite that I haven't read in awhile but it called my name at the library so I thought a reread was in order.

My Impression:  I'm going to get the negative out of the way first.  This book is dated.  Margo smokes like a chimney and is constantly lighting a cigarette.  It's not a big deal but it's surprising considering how little I see it now - especially from the heroine of a romance.  The bigger problem is the aggression.  Margo and Josh aren't nice to each other.  When they fight they can lapse into cruelty (especially Josh) that I don't think would fly in a romance written in the last few years.  It doesn't go as far as domestic violence or abuse but it is more then I'm used to seeing.

That being said - I thoroughly enjoyed this read.  Nora Roberts has a gift for portraying friendships and this book is no exception.  The loyalty and enjoyment in each others company that Margo, Kate, and Laura share is just lovely to read.  They're there for each other without question but without getting sappy.  Margo's total love of the Templetons, not for what they can give her, but who they are is also really nice to see.  It makes a character who has made some stunningly bad decisions easy to like.  I also really liked the relationship between Margo and her mother.  It's prickly and full of resentment but watching them work through everything - especially the scene toward the end - added a touch of uniqueness.  I feel like so often when the mother/daughter relationship isn't super supportive the mother is a villain but that wasn't the case here.

The relationship between Josh and Margo is true but stormy.  They both are convinced the other thinks little of them for various reasons and it causes problems and they also both have their hangups about each other which get in the way.  Working through all of that was sometimes sweet and sometimes bumpy but it was always entertaining.  Despite the issues this was an enjoyable read that pulled me in right away and immediately connected me with the characters.  I'm looking forward to picking up the 2nd book next time I'm in the library.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely!  Nora Roberts is an auto read for me and I'm already looking forward to the next book in the trilogy.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you love Nora Roberts already then I think you'd enjoy this.  However, if you're new to Roberts or the genre in general I think the datedness would be a bit much.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book, and series, years ago but remember very little and especially not the aggressive behavior. I agree that Roberts does an excellent job of portraying friendships. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book years ago and do you know it is not even ringing one little bell! Interesting about the smoking and aggression. Still good to hear it was still a good read.

    ReplyDelete